Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Hi Friends & Family!

Today I'm off to the southwestern region of Uganda to a small town called Kisoro (see map & picture that my friend took when she went last fall).  I'll be there for 8 weeks!!

Over the first month I will be at Kisoro Hospital on the inpatient wards for both adult and children. I'll be working with a few other 4th year medical students from Einstein, internal medicine residents from Montefiore Hospital, our attending Dr. Gerald Paccione, and of course the local Ugandan staff.  During the second month I'll be traveling from the hospital to all the local villages to perform a public health research project and give community talks on topics such as Neonatal Mortality, Cancer in Women, Nutrition, and Gapfura (I'll explain in a later post-or you can google it!).  My research project will focus on adolescent alcohol consumption patterns and how it relates to sexual relationships & behavior.

Enough academics!  Beyond the medical work I'm excited to travel to a different country, learn about their culture, and have many adventures.  I'll try to post updates weekly-- not quite sure of how well the internet works yet.  So if you're bored at work and you're sick of looking at Facebook or YouTube...check back for updates!  And don't forget to email me your updates...I will have no TV and need entertainment.

Lots of Love,

Vanessa

1 comment:

  1. So excited for you! Safe travels. Cant wait to follow your journey online. xoox Jess

    ReplyDelete